Jim LernerPartner / Director of Litigation
Jim Lerner is a global antitrust lawyer with three decades of experience in counseling and litigation. His expertise extends to criminal and civil government investigations, internal investigations, complex multi-jurisdictional antitrust class action litigation, developing and implementing compliance programs, and mergers and acquisitions.
Jim is a skilled leader who has managed large teams of lawyers and support professionals in numerous U.S. and international criminal and civil antitrust investigations and litigations throughout his career at top international antitrust law firms including Winston & Strawn, Dewey & Leboeuf, and Weil, Gotshal & Manges. He is experienced in litigating and counseling clients spanning a diverse array of industries including online services, telecommunications, media, consumer and industrial electronics, optical equipment, financial services, cosmetics, food and feed additives, automotive prats, and building and construction materials. He also counsels on mergers and acquisitions, competitor collaborations, and distribution issues.
Jim has defended clients in multidistrict litigation, direct purchaser class actions, indirect purchaser class actions, individual actions, and qui tam (False Claims Act) suits. Jim routinely assists companies with internal antitrust investigations. In addition, he develops for clients individualized antitrust compliance policies and devises programs to assist them in implementing, monitoring and training employees on these policies. Jim views his role foremost as a counselor who uses his years of experience to assist clients in advancing their goals, whether by assisting them in identifying and mitigating risks before they develop into problems, or by finding creative ways to address the problems that do inevitably arise in increasingly competitive and complex business environments.
J.D., New York University School of Law
Boston University School of Law
G. Joseph Tauro Scholar
Boston University Law Review
B.A., Haverford College
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Jim has represented foreign and domestic clients in many of the most high-profile international criminal and civil cartel investigations over the past 25 years, representing clients appearing before regulatory and enforcement agencies in the U.S., EU, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Taiwan, and Korea. including in investigations into
- food and feed additives
- high tech fibers
- specialty rubbers
- plastics additives
- consumer electronics
- automobile parts
- In re Amino Acid Lysine Antitrust Litigation—Defended a global manufacturer of food and feed additives in direct purchaser and indirect purchaser MDL class actions asserting price-fixing and bid-rigging claims.
- In re Vitamins Antitrust Litigation--Defended a global manufacturer of pharmaceuticals in direct purchaser and indirect purchaser MDL class actions asserting price-fixing and bid-rigging claims.
- In re CRT Antitrust Litigation—Defended a global electronics company in direct purchaser and indirect purchaser MDL class actions asserting price-fixing and bid-rigging claims.
- In re Lithium Ion Batteries Antitrust Litigation—Defended a global electronics company in direct purchaser and indirect purchaser MDL class actions asserting price-fixing and bid-rigging claims.
- In re Automotive Antitrust Litigation—Defended a number of manufacturers of different automotive component parts in direct purchaser and indirect purchaser MDL class actions asserting price-fixing and bid-rigging claims.
- Defended consumer electronics manufacturer in antitrust and intellectual property lawsuit filed against patent pool members alleging patent misuse, federal antitrust violations, and state law unfair competition violations.
Mergers and Acquisitions
In merger- and joint venture-related work, Jim has advised clients in a variety of industries in industry changing mergers, including in steel, cosmetics, hair care, online services, computer hardware, telecommunications, construction materials, and oilfield services, and has represented clients before the Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice.