Aaron R. GottPartner
Aaron R. Gott is a top-rated antitrust lawyer who focuses on antitrust and competition litigation, complex business litigation, challenges to government conduct, and appeals. Aaron is lead counsel in several antitrust cases, exemplifying his extensive experience in prosecuting and defending antitrust cases and other complex litigation. He has represented parties before the U.S. Supreme Court four times and argued countless appeals in the U.S. Courts of Appeals. He is also one of the nation’s leading lawyers on issues involving the state-action immunity, a narrow antitrust exemption often claimed by government entities such as state professional licensing boards and municipalities who are sued for violating the federal antitrust laws. He counsels clients on a range of issues, including antitrust compliance, antitrust exemptions including farm cooperatives under the Capper-Volstead Act, and employment noncompete agreements.
Aaron is a combat veteran who served nearly a decade in the U.S. Army. He entered law school with over five years of professional writing experience as a newspaper editor and Army public affairs officer. His work has been published in newspapers throughout the country, trade magazines, academic journals, and government publications; he has received accolades from general officers, scholars, high-profile litigators, and even federal judges. Aaron’s legal scholarship has been called “meticulously researched and brilliantly argued,” and BookForum showcased one of Aaron’s scholarly papers as an example of “rigorous and elegant writing.”
J.D., The Florida State University College of Law
Magna Cum Laude
Honors and Activities:
Order of the Coif
Executive Editor, The Florida State University Law Review
Research Assistant for Professor Dan Markel and Dean David E. Landau
B.A., Iowa State University
Political Science and Military Science
United States District Court for the Central District of California
United States District Court for the Northern District of California
United States District Court for the Southern District of California
United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
United States Supreme Court
- Defend egg producer in multiple class actions in federal district courts that allege violations of state price gouging laws
- Represent service-disabled veteran and his business in administrative challenge to California agency’s unlawful interference with a competitively awarded U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs contract in California state court
- Represent plaintiff as lead counsel in antitrust case against pharmaceutical associations who wiped pharmacy competition from the internet (PharmacyChecker.com v. NABP et al.)
- Represent plaintiff as lead counsel in federal antitrust lawsuit against City of Richmond, Virginia and its corporate ambulance subsidiary for monopolizing the non-emergency ambulance market (Metro Health EMS v. City of Richmond)
- Petition for writ of certiorari to U.S. Supreme Court on the scope of the state action immunity and argued for a market participant exception to the doctrine (AmeriCare v. City of Anaheim et al.)
- Briefed and argued state action immunity issues to U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in case against California cities who monopolized a dozen ambulance markets
- Represent NFIB Small Business Legal Center as amicus curiae in U.S. Supreme Court, arguing that denials of state action immunity should not be immediately appealable (Salt River Agri. Improvement & Power Dist. v. Tesla Energy)
- Represent plaintiff as lead counsel in antitrust case involving price-fixing and group-boycott conspiracies in the cement and ready mix industries in Atlanta federal court. (Southeast Ready Mix et al. v. Argos North America, Inc., et al.).
- Represent defendant in class action antitrust litigation in Fed. R. Civ. P. 23(f) petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Represent client in federal declaratory judgment action for non-liability for trade secret misappropriation claimed by competitor (JEHM, LLC v. Palmtree Clinical Research, Inc. (S.D. Cal.)).
- Represent nutrition supplement company in prosecuting federal Lanham Act false advertising case against competitor-sponsored review publication.
- Represent National Federation of Independent Businesses Small Business Legal Center as amicus curiae in antitrust state-action immunity case at the U.S. Supreme Court. (Salt River v. Tesla Energy).
- Represent client in a dozen antitrust lawsuits against Orange County municipalities and private company for monopolizing the ambulance industry.
- Defend one of the nation's largest online contact lens retailers against class action antitrust claims in federal Multi-District Litigation. (In re Disposable Contact Lens Antitrust Litigation).
- Defend Japanese capacitor manufacturer against class action antitrust claims in federal Multi-District Litigation. (In re Capacitors Antitrust Litigation).
- Represent one of the nation's largest online contact lens retailers as amicus curiae in the Federal Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit relating to challenge to Utah law prohibiting enforcement of Uniform Pricing Policies against contact lens retailers. (Johnson & Johnson et al. v. Reyes).
- Represent nonprofit complementary and alternative healthcare advocacy group as amicus curiae in federal antitrust case before the U.S. Supreme Court (N.C. State Board of Dental Examiners v. FTC).
- Represent association of rental property owners as amicus curiae in constitutional challenge to municipal rental ban. (Dean et al. v. City of Winona)
- Represent group of scholars of law and economics as amicus curiae in constitutional challenge to state medical device certificate-of-need regulation. (Colon Health Centers of America v. Hazel)
- Represent National Federation of Independent Businesses Small Business Legal Center as amicus curiae in FOIA challenge to EPA’s proposed release of private business information to environmental interest groups (Am. Farm Bureau Fed. v. U.S. EPA)
- Ongoing disputes from coast to coast in the areas of false advertising, unfair competition, trade secret misappropriation, antitrust, and general business
- Panelist, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Friendly Advice: Amicus Perspectives on the FTC v. Qualcomm Case – June 23, 2020
- Co-author, "State certificate-of-need laws for hospitals must go," Minneapolis Star Tribune, April 28, 2020.
- Radio Interview, KRVN/Rural Radio Network, Agriculture and Antitrust, November 2019.
- Panelist, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, NC Dental Amici: The Scope of the State Action Doctrine, April 2015.
Federal Bar Association
Committee Member, Minnesota Chapter Newer Lawyers Committee
American Bar Association
ABA Section of Antitrust Law
Minnesota State Bar Association
Governing Council Member, MSBA Antitrust Law Section
- SuperLawyers Rising Star 2019
- SuperLawyers Rising Star 2020
United States Army Reserve, 2003–2012
Operation Iraqi Freedom 2004–2005
Force Protection Team Leader, 515th Combat Support Battalion
Operation Enduring Freedom 2008–2010
Public Affairs Officer, 166th Aviation Brigade