Steven MadoffOf Counsel
Steven Madoff is the former Executive Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs for Paramount Pictures Corporation and an expert on antitrust, corporate, and other legal issues in the Media and Entertainment industries.
Since leaving Paramount Pictures, he has not only represented clients on major transactions and ventures in this industry, but has repeatedly served as an expert witness in high-profile litigation involving the major Hollywood studios.
Mr. Madoff has substantial experience counseling on antitrust and competition issues in the media and entertainment industry, including issues relating to investigations by European and US antitrust authorities (DOJ and FTC), antitrust litigation issues, joint venture antitrust and competition issues, and a host of other antitrust and competition issues that consistently arise in these industries.
Mr. Madoff also has broad domestic and international experience developing, negotiating, structuring and drafting production, distribution, acquisition, licensing, joint venture, technology and vendor agreements for motion picture, television and digital media producers and distributors.
Before becoming an attorney, Mr. Madoff earned an M.S. degree in Television-Radio-Film from the Newhouse School of Syracuse University and worked in television production. He then received his J.D. degree from the University of Miami School of Law and LL.M degree in Trade Regulation from the New York University School of Law. Mr. Madoff clerked for the Honorable Joe Eaton of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida and then worked as a litigator in New York City.
Mr. Madoff then applied his training in media and entertainment to his legal practice and began working as International Counsel for the Motion Picture Association of America and its sister company the Motion Picture Export Association. These are the trade associations that represented the worldwide interests of Disney, Warner Bros., 20th Century Fox, Universal Pictures, Columbia/Sony, Paramount and MGM/United Artists.
Next, Mr. Madoff moved to Paramount Pictures Corporation in Los Angeles where he eventually rose to Executive Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs for the Worldwide Home Entertainment, Pay Television and Digital Media Divisions of Paramount. In this role, he managed and supervised over 30 attorneys and business affairs and business development executives, and worked directly on Paramount’s first satellite television, pay-television joint venture and digital media transactions including those with HBO, Netflix, DirecTV, Apple and Amazon.
LL.M. , New York University School of Law
J.D., University of Miami School of Law
M.S., Syracuse University
B.A., SUNY at Buffalo
- Represented Paramount before the European Union Competition Directorate with respect to antitrust issues involving Paramount’s long-term output license agreement with BSkyB in the United Kingdom.
- Represented Paramount before the Department of Justice concerning antitrust issues raised by the formation and operation of the 5-studio joint venture, Movielink.
- Represented Paramount with respect to the FTC investigation into Minimum Advertised Price Policies.
- Represented Paramount in the Blockbuster Video antitrust litigation.
- Served as expert witness on behalf of NBC/UNIVERSAL/Comcast with respect to the issue of exploitation of new technology under the Comcast Consent Decree with the FCC.
- Served as expert witness on behalf of Warner Bros. Pictures in litigation involving outside participations with respect to the motion picture, ‘The Exorcist.”
- Served as expert witness on behalf of Univision Television in its Federal court litigation with Televisa concerning new technology rights under its long-term output agreement.
- Lead negotiating attorney on behalf of Paramount Pictures Corporation for the formation of the Movielink joint venture. Movielink was a joint venture among Warner Bros., Universal, Sony, Paramount and MGM/UA for the first internet-based movie delivery service.
- Lead business affairs executive and attorney for television output license agreements each exceeding $1 billion in revenue with TPS in France, BSkyB in the United Kingdom, Premier in Germany and HBO in the U.S.
- Lead business affairs executive and attorney for the formation, launch and operation of Paramount’s first advertiser-supported branded cable channels in the United Kingdom and Spain.
- Lead business affairs executive and attorney on behalf of Paramount for the formation, launch and operation of Pay-TV channels in Latin America (Cine Canal), Asia (HBO Asia), Australia (Showtime), Brazil (NetBrazil) and Japan (Star Channel).
- Lead business affairs executive and attorney for Grammy award winning documentary motion picture “Bob Dylan: No Direction Home”.
- Lead attorney for Paramount’s Home Entertainment and Pay Television Divisions in the de-merger of Viacom and CBS Television and subsequent acquisition of Dreamworks Pictures.
- Structured and negotiated Paramount’s first digital media license agreements with Apple, Amazon, Microsoft and Netflix.